Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Quandary

So there I am at the license bureau, waiting to take my driver’s test, and soon I get the sneaking suspicion I’ve been sitting there a wee bit too long. I’ve grown tired of my Queen Victoria biography so there’s nothing to do but grieve at the lack of service. Oh how I grieve and how boring such a process is. Then I realize that’s it: I’m just plain bored. The place is jam packed with potential customers all waiting like me and possibly bored as well though for all I know they get their kicks from the slow tick of time and watching flies crawl up the walls.

What causes the wait and the wonder? The place is severely understaffed and the electricity goes off periodically. Those who moan and groan through such service may seethe, a few go to the desk and complain and soon a terrible thought dawns: has the Third World come home? Has our lifestyle been reduced to this level?

Well not quite. What we’re witnessing is the results of the economy: a tight budget. And in all seriousness the place is open during daylight hours, no guards beat up complainers and the water fountains actually contain water.

So it’s better than being marooned in the Middle East which is why so many inhabitants of such regions come here. Immigration persists. But how can this country sustain its level of perfection if we’re flooded with the very cause of the third world’s diminished quality: the sad saps who run it? White people have built the world’s most successful societies for which we should be proud and protective of. You can take that down Buster!

No comments:

Post a Comment